About Christmas TV History

Friday, August 19, 2011

My Interview on Teen Focus

Behind the cameras on Teen Focus in 2010.
I hope you'll pardon a little self-promotion.  I thought I'd talk a little about some of my TV appearances.  Last November, I did an interview for a Cleveland, OH cable access show called Teen Focus.  Though it only broadcast throughout Northeast Ohio and on-line through their website for a limited time, this is one of my favorite interviews I've done.

That's me in the purple sweater on the monitors--photo courtesy of my editor, Dominic.
Teen Focus is an award-winning local TV show produced by Cable 9 with teenage interviewers aimed at adolescent viewers.  This was all I knew about my interview before I showed up.  But as soon as I arrived, I was greeted by my two young interviewers who were quite professional and eager to begin.  One thing I've learned about being interviewed: they NEVER let you know what they want to ask about, usually explaining that they want to "save it for the cameras."  I have learned to accommodate this, however, it is a challenge since I have written about over 3000 holiday-themed episodes, specials and films.  I have had to learn to become a walking encyclopedia myself.  You may pick up on some of this in the interview!  I'm just talking about whatever they ask, from off the top of my head, and attempting to tie the conversation with what else I've already mentioned.  I think I pulled it off pretty well in this interview.  It's one of my favorite interviews because my two hosts were pop culture literate, asking me about such diverse shows as The Frank Sinatra Show to South Park.  It was also a great interview because my two hosts' energy was fun to play off and it kept me talking and excited for the length of the discussion.  That made it a very easy discussion and I was able to enjoy the moment.

As you can tell, I was being asked about my first book The Christmas TV Companion.  It was a three camera set-up for the taping of a thirty minute interview.  More recently, I've uploaded this interview on my Youtube channel, TistheSeasonTV.  So check it out and let me know what you think.  I'll try to answer any questions you have.








No comments:

Post a Comment